Tips for New Skaters
- Proper Fitting Skates: This is key. If they have improper fitted skates, it will be both uncomfortable and a possible hazard to your skater. When buying skates, we suggest using Coach's Source for Sports here in Wetaskiwin or United Cycle in Edmonton. Place like these know how to fit your child's foot assuring proper support for their ankles. Many parents purchase skates that are just too big, hoping they will grow into the skate and this is a big reason why skaters have difficulty on the ice.
- The Right Attire: It is cold out there. If you have a beginner skater that isn't moving a lot or falling down, there is nothing wrong with wearing ski pants on the ice. Keeping them warm and comfortable is very important. Mittens and a CSA approved helmet (hockey helmets are perfect) are Required. If you are interested in skating tights, they can be layered underneath sweat pants and purchased in town at An Edge in Dance or in Edmonton at United Cycle. A cold skater is neither productive or happy!
- Be on Time: We always do our best to start and end all lessons as scheduled. We ask that you arrive about 10 min early to ensure extra time to get your skater laced up and ready to start their lesson on time. A dressing room is provided for changing clothes and lacing up skates. Skates are not to be laced up in the stands.
- When in Doubt ASK: If you are unsure of anything, feel there may have been something we have overlooked or a problem that has gone unnoticed, please tell us!
- Fundraising/Bingo: We have been able to keep our fees low due the to support of parents working Bingo's and Volunteering to help when needed. A $200 discount is applicable after working 2 bingos/skater on yearly fees. ($100/semester)
- An additional credit can be earned when working more than your required bingos. Without bingo fundraising, our fees would be at least double and our Skating Club may not continue to operate.
Jumpstart is a program available to those families needing help with registration fees. Please contact the Boys & Girls Club to apply.